THE TIP OF THE BRIMSTONE - PART 8

TIMELINE OF ABUSE – PART SEVEN

1990

My Year Twelve home-room teacher was Mr ‘Rolls’. He had organised for me to switch into an Art and Graphics course to complete my HSC. With luck I might be able to get into a Graphic Design degree at university. It wasn’t engineering, but I might get to work with engineers. I had shown remarkable talent, a real gift for design and drawing. The work was a breeze. I aced Graphics with a 98% average and won the Outstanding Student of Art Award for my art project. I was one of only seven guys in the Year Twelve class of thirty-two. The English teacher told me to focus on illustrations to get me through that unit and I finished it with a D. He couldn’t be bothered doing anything to help me and had made his mind up that I was useless in that area. A few years later, when I redid Year Twelve, I’d finish English with a B+ despite the protests of my teacher; she had argued my work deserved an A but complained bitterly about the Grade Allocation system being weighted to award Private School students better grades. I didn’t care.

School was a colossal farce. None of it meant anything. I had discovered ‘Micha’ copying my work from the previous years. He literally copied it word for word, illustrations and all, and submitted it to the same teachers. They never even noticed. In fact, they gave him better grades! I’d started fighting back at school. I was sick of being beaten up and just lashed out one day. After a few fights, nobody bothered me again. I could take a beating and come out swinging, giving better than I got. Bullies, I discovered, are cowards; once someone fights back, they leave them alone. ‘Micha’ had begun to attack me when we were at ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’s’ that year. One time, near the sheep yards, he’d come at me swinging when I refused to do a job ‘Lilith’ had given him. ‘Bull’ had watched on with a vicious, mad look in his eyes and spittle gathering in the corner of his mouth.

I blocked every swing ‘Micha’ made but then he grabbed me and started shoving me back toward the post I’d just planted and filled in for a fence I’d been told to make. It was about four feet tall, above the ground, and a good nine inches of solid timber to a side. I just put my forearms between his and pushed them out, breaking ‘Micha’s’ hold, and stepped aside. I wanted to punch him in the face, but I didn’t. What was the point? Unprepared, ‘Micha’ stumbled and tripped, bashing his head into the post. He got up, screaming abuse at me, and started swinging again until he noticed the blood. He’d split his head open. He started crying and ran back to the house. He was fifteen at the time. When I got back, the story was I’d attacked him with a piece of wood, without warning or provocation. ‘Bull’ had watched ‘Lilith’s’ accusation and didn’t correct it, but came over to punch me in the side of the head when ‘Lilith’ tried to slap my face the third time. She had shown no desire to stop after the first two hits and I’d decided I’d had enough.

I was angry about what ‘Bull’ had done to the dog ‘Lilith’ had replaced ‘Patroclus’ with. ‘Bull’ use to take it hunting, setting it on cats or whatever else he wanted to watch get maimed and torn to pieces. But he never chained it up or put it in the cage, so it would go and attack sheep. He’d shot it with the shotgun a few times and its back legs didn’t work properly after that. It limped everywhere, its barrel chest doing all the work. But one day the dog was dead. ‘Bull’ boasted that he took it out hunting and then shot it through the stomach to see what it did. It had crawled back to him, so he blew out its spine and watched it try to get into the ute. Finally, he shot it in the face and blew off most of its bottom jaw and then watched it die a horrible, agonised and lingering death. He would often tell me how he’d drive out to that lonely patch of scrub on the edge of the property so he could see what happened to the dog’s remains. I’m not sure if he did that and told me about it to get to me or just because he was unhinged. At school I’d never really fit in. I’d stayed at ‘Stuart Dicks’ place once. His family were Catholic and invited me over. ‘Lilith’ had said yes. ‘Harry Rich’ had gone too. There was a party up the road. We went. I wanted to see what the parties the other kids talked about were like. It was just a bunch of older guys giving younger girls alcohol, throwing bullets into the fire, and then taking the girls off to a nearby hayshed to have sex with them. When ‘Stuart’ and ‘Harry’ had tried to get one of the girls drunk so they could use her like that, I left and made them come with me. We never spoke to one another after that. I spent the last year of school doing the work I had to do and staring into space. I was depressed and spent most of my time thinking about killing myself. That dog ‘Bull’ had killed had been the closest thing I had to a friend.

At the end of the year, I went to live with ‘Lilith’s’ parents and work on their farm. There had been no Muck-up Day for the Year Twelve class that year. The traditional rite of passage had been prohibited. The School Principal had sent us a warning that if we came onto the property that day we would be arrested and charged with trespass and vandalism. I never even attended the graduation to receive the Art Award. I didn’t care. They sent me the twenty-dollar prize money. ‘Micha’ showed up as soon as Year Ten concluded and set about his usual routine of making life miserable. I’d had a few weeks to spend with ‘Edward’ on my own and he seemed to warm-up to me a little, just like when I’d been a kid. ‘Edward’s’ attitude toward confrontation had always been to avoid it. ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ created an aura of hostility whenever they didn’t get what they wanted, and ‘Edward’ spending time with me was not what they wanted. To make matters worse, ‘Edward’ was in a foul mood. He had worked for Miss ‘Yabb’ for the better part of thirty years and she had died. What caused his anger to boil over was what she had done with her land: she left it to the Church. He believed she should have left it to him. He wanted it so he could divide it between ‘Lara A’, ‘Sue B’ and ‘Adam C’ as their inheritance. It went to auction and the ‘Arnot’ family easily outbid him.


In the weeks and months that followed, I saw in ‘Edward’s’ short-tempered cursing and indifference to what was being done to me where ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ got their self-centred, nasty, spiteful attitudes from; he was the closest thing to a father I’d ever known and, for the first time in my life, I was ashamed of ‘Edward’. The only time I’d ever been truly happy was when I was at [DELETED], away from ‘Lilith’ and then ‘Bull’, or at ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’s’ when ‘Lilith’ and then ‘Bull’ weren’t around. Over the last few years, it had been less pleasant. Nobody trusted me. I could feel it. I realised in those weeks that without ‘Micha’ around, the farm at [DELETED] was a place where I was happy again. But then ‘Edward’ sold the dog I had trained and asked to have as my own. He had given ‘Micha’ a dog six years earlier but didn’t hesitate when the offer was made for mine. ‘Lilith’ had convinced him she needed money when the offer had been made. He wouldn’t look me in the eye. I think, right then, I knew there was nothing there for me, that no matter how hard I worked and put-up with them, eventually I’d be left with nothing. It had been one of only two places I was happy. I knew it wouldn’t last. And this is where my Timeline of Abuse would magically end, rainbows break out and justice prevail in the insane world of reporting crime. But it didn’t. The child abuse only ended because I would turn eighteen. The child abuse itself simply evolved into assault and battery and the murky waters of what the police and other public services claim are not matters they can deal with: theft, stalking, harassment, slander, defamation, intimidation and psychological terror that alienates their victims from friends and relatives until they are forced to flee interstate just to escape and attempt to live a normal life despite the isolation and depression. These are crimes that normally attract a Restraining Order and too often result in breaches of said order that lead to assaults and even death.  In recent years there have also been charges laid against people who bullied a fellow employee without mercy until she committed suicide. Why is it that the police are disinterested in these crimes? If it isn’t their job, then who can help the victims of these crimes? Where do victims go for help?

1991

My eighteenth birthday came and went. There was no party. There was no celebration. There was nothing. ‘Lilith’ showed up with ‘Lara A’, ‘Sue B’ and ‘Adam C’ for the Christmas holidays. ‘Bull’ didn’t come. I didn’t know it at the time, but there was trouble in paradise. ‘Micha’ had told ‘Edward’ what had been going on. He didn’t do it out of any loyalty to me, but for his own benefit. Over the last two years ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ had been revealing their plans for ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’s’ property. “We’ve got a deal with Pa,” they’d say, “and you’re not part of it. All his stuff is ours so get lost.” According to them, he was going to give ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ all his land and estates over the next ten years. When only one of them was around, however, it was “I’ve got a deal with Pa.” They were planning on double-crossing one another even then. So ‘Micha’ had ratted-out ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ to drive a wedge between them and ‘Edward’, and make himself more secure. ‘Lilith’ had blamed everything on ‘Bull’, and claimed what ‘Micha’ said about her had all been a lie. That’s why ‘Bull’ hadn’t come for Christmas. But behind his back, ‘Micha’ and ‘Lilith’ bullied and terrorised ‘Sharleen’, ‘Lara A’, ‘Sue B’, ‘Adam C’ and me. They made our lives miserable. I was starting to think in dangerous ways.

I didn’t want the children to suffer the way I had. Suicide might stop what was happening to me, but that wouldn’t protect ‘Sharleen’ and the other children. The last three years of High School taught me the only way to stop bullies was to respond to violence with violence. I didn’t even realise it at the time, but I was becoming more like ‘Lilith’, ‘Bull’ and ‘Micha’. The only break from what was going on came when I went to [DELETED] for a week after Christmas. ‘Myshell’ was there and ‘Elisa’ and ‘George’ sent me with her back to [DELETED] to visit other relatives. On the bus from [DELETED] to [DELETED], a group of old people about the same age as our grandparents started talking with us. They wanted to know who we were. ‘Myshell’ said we were ‘George’ and ‘Elisa’s’ grandchildren. “Oh, you must be ‘Lorenzo’s’ eldest then,” one of them said, and the others nodded, “you look like him.” We tried to explain that ‘Claud’ was my father and ‘Myshell’ was ‘Maurisa’s’ youngest, but they were adamant ‘Lorenzo’ was our father. They may have mistaken ‘Myshell’ for ‘Clara’, ‘Lorenzo’s’ eldest, who was the same age, but ‘Lorenzo’ had no sons. The old people turned their backs on us and had a heated discussion. Then one of them said “Maybe they don’t know.” After that they just looked guilty and wouldn’t speak to us again. I’ve often wondered what that was all about.

The return to [DELETED] was something I actually dreaded, and I was glad I was going to university even though I didn’t want to actually do the course. I got into a Visual Arts course at Monash, in [DELETED]. I’d be living on campus.  ‘Lilith’ used my bank account to pay for my accommodation for the first six months but refused to give me my ATM card. She wouldn’t let me access my bank account. I was eighteen. I had to go to the bank and explain the situation. They gave me an ATM card and cancelled the one ‘Lilith’ had. The account was empty. ‘Lilith’ had taken everything ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ had ever put into it. There had been almost twenty-thousand dollars go into that account. But ‘Lilith’ wasn’t done. When I confronted her about that, she demanded I pay her and ‘Bull’ an additional $3,500 for every year I’d lived with them. Another twenty-thousand dollars. She called it board. ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ had abused me, and used me as an unpaid domestic, for those six years and expected me to pay them for the privilege. Despite this insanity, I hitched a ride back to [DELETED] every weekend to visit ‘Lara A’, ‘Sue B’ and ‘Adam C’. I needed them to have some happy memories. I was worried they’d suffer the same fate I had. It cost me $15 to hitch a return ride with ‘Susan Jess’, a girl who went to [DELETED] High with me and then university. It was half of the money I had for the week. ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ demanded I cut wood for the week, and mow the lawns, each visit, and I was so use to doing what they ordered that I just did it. That ended when I finally got my licence and a car of my own. I’d saved two-thousand dollars by working for ‘Lilith’s’ father and he loaned me the same again. ‘Bull’ had got a car for me and demanded I give him the money. I had no idea it was a reconditioned wreck, or that it only cost him half what I paid. ‘Bull’ took the rest to the TAB.

I’d gone back to [DELETED] and got out of the car. ‘Lara A’ had dropped a ball while she was on the trampoline and it rolled over to me, so I kicked it back. I kept it at ground level and had no idea ‘Adam C’ was coming around the corner. The ball hit a stone and bounced up into his face at the last moment, a freak accident. ‘Bull’ saw what happened but started screaming that I’d deliberately tried to murder his son. Most of what he said was unintelligible, incoherent ranting. He picked ‘Adam C’ up and held the three-year old in front of himself, like a shield, and started swinging his right fist at me. I just dodged and looked at him. I shook my head, turned and walked away. I got in the car and left. I came back at the end of the university year to collect my things.  ‘Bull’ stood over me while I collected what little I had and would say “I’ll have that” whenever he wanted something. He done it whenever I’d made food for years. ‘Micha’ would do the same thing. Usually they took everything until there was no food left. That day ‘Bull’ took books ‘Sharleen’ had given me, clothes he had no use for, childhood toys my grandparents had given me, things he didn’t even need or want, just because he could. I left with hardly anything. I went to live with ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’. I had no intention of returning to university. I couldn’t afford it and it had been a big disappointment. I didn’t want to do the course and didn’t like a lot of what happened there. I had been failed in one of the units. The lecturer had said my work demonstrated a chauvinistic personality and spent her time insulting me and my work in classes. A number of the guys in the class had suffered the same treatment but, inexplicably, it would stop. They said it was because they had agreed to have sex with her. I thought they were joking. She never stopped treating me like that and even though there was no reason to fail me, she failed me all the same. I was disgusted with what university was.

I hate bullies and people that act in immoral, unethical and hypocritical ways. I avoid them when I can. Even if I had the money to pay for it, I would never have gone back to that university. The only good thing that happened was I met a girl at the end of the year. We had gone out a few times and her friends said I should take her to meet my parents. I’d tried to explain that was a bad idea and why, but they said it couldn’t be that bad. “That kind of thing doesn’t really happen,” they’d say, “you’re just remembering it wrong. Everybody deserves a second chance.” That’s the problem when you encounter people who’ve led very sheltered, often over-privileged lives; they don’t want to believe things like that can happen. I caved into the pressure and made the mistake of introducing my girlfriend to ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’. ‘Elizabeth’ and I stayed at ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’s’ farm outside [DELETED]. ‘Lilith’ moved ‘Adam C’ in with ‘Lara A’ and ‘Sue B’ so ‘Elizabeth’ would be in the room right across from hers. She was keeping a very close watch on us. She needn’t have bothered. We’d only been dating for six weeks and even years later ‘Elizabeth’ didn’t do sex. But ‘Lilith’ did to ‘Elizabeth’ what she did to ‘Myshell’. ‘Lilith’ was real friendly for the first few days, but ‘Elizabeth’  didn’t take my advice; she answered all the questions ‘Lilith’ asked, giving her all the information she wanted to do what she’d planned all along.

When we were leaving so I could drop ‘Elizabeth’ off with her parents on the way to [DELETED], ‘Lilith’ came down the driveway, arms pumping her squat, round frame along with more energy than she had ever used in the last few years. She had a look of malicious intent on her face. “You two have to stop having sex and break up right now!” ‘Lilith’ snarled. “You’re as bad as ‘Claud’ and you’re a filthy little whore!” I have no idea why ‘Lilith’ behaves like that. “You know ‘Lee’s’ a drug addict don’t you?” ‘Lilith’ ranted, spouting her usual lies, “You can’t trust anything he says! Oh, I see now! You’re trying to steal everything from my parents!” ‘Elizabeth’ was shocked. She cried all the way to her parents place, but when we got there they bailed her up and demanded answers. ‘Lilith’ had used what ‘Elizabeth’ had said when she answered the questions ‘Lilith’ asked; ‘Lilith’ had found the telephone number for ‘Elizabeth’s’ parents and called them, spreading her vindictive slander and effectively destroying the relationship between ‘Elizabeth’ and her parents, as well as the one I’d been working to cultivate with them. ‘Elizabeth’ almost broke-up with me after that. I couldn’t really blame her.

I should never have introduced her to ‘Lilith’. It had been selfish. I thought ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ might realise I was an adult once I’d introduced ‘Elizabeth’, and they might stop inflicting their insane psychological and physical violence. I was so wrong. ‘Lilith’ just escalated. Why did she do it? What was her motive? If what she did wasn’t illegal or something the police concern themselves with, then what are people subjected to this kind of insanity supposed to do? Legal Aid doesn’t deal with this, so I have been informed, and private legal representation isn’t available to the financially disadvantaged. Who is supposed to help victims of these anti-social behaviours? I tried to mend the damage by taking ‘Elizabeth’ to meet my grandparents, staying at ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’s’ for a night before travelling over the mountain to visit ‘Elisa’ and ‘George’, ‘Claud’s’ parents. ‘Elizabeth’ and I had slept in separate rooms, but despite the facts, everyone seemed to think we were sleeping with one another. ‘Lilith’ said to me, weeks later, “even if you ever get married, you and your wife will never even sleep under the same roof let alone share a bed if I have anything to say about it.” I have no idea why she would go to such extreme lengths to destroy relationships like that. Before I eventually married, I was very cautious about who I dated because there was always the potential I might date a half-sister. In the end I only ever dated two women. But ‘Lilith’s’ behaviour made no sense. I have often wondered if she was worried a situation might arise that revealed she and ‘Claud’ are not my biological parents.

1992

But it didn’t end there. ‘Lilith’ moved ‘Micha’ in with ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ to complete his final year of High School in [DELETED]. ‘Lilith’ moved in for the six weeks of the Christmas school holidays too, bringing her three youngest children. She and ‘Micha’ ramped up the harassment and bullying until I snapped. ‘Micha’ had driven me from the room we had shared whenever we visited. ‘Edward’ told me that when ‘Lilith’ left with her children, I could use the other bedroom, the one in the middle of the house that ‘Lilith’ had always used. When ‘Lilith’ told her father that wasn’t acceptable and that he should make me leave, ‘Edward’ told her it was his house, not hers. But it just got worse. One day, ‘Sharleen’ returned to the world the rest of us occupy. Her eyes were vacant one minute, then she was as she had always been. She grabbed my wrist while I was making dinner and doing dishes. “You must leave!” She said. “There is nothing here for you! ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ won’t let you have what we want to give you! Don’t be like them! This is not what God wants for you! Please, go, live your life in peace!” And then she was gone again, her mind lost in whatever strange, deluded reality she now occupied. A few days after ‘Lilith’ left, I tried to tell ‘Edward’ what had been going on. ‘Lilith’ had been calling her father every day, demanding he kick me out and trying to convince him I was planning to steal everything from him. ‘Micha’ had continued his campaign of bullying and assisted with ‘Lilith’s’ lies.  I knew ‘Sharleen’ was right when my grandfather responded to my pleas for help by snarling at ‘Micha’ and me “If you can’t get along, you can leave.” I lasted three more days.

‘Micha’ was doing his usual to belittle and bully me with incessant mockery, insults and slanderous accusations, hiding behind ‘Sharleen’ while he did it. He was 6’ tall then, and a hundred kilos. A couple of years later, I heard he was 6’4” and 130 kilos. At the time, I was 5’9” and still 58 kilos. The same weight I’d be until I was 23. He’d always been allowed to eat and his access to money let him get whatever he wanted. I told ‘Micha’ I’d had enough. “Step outside and say that, you lying chunk of crap,” I told him. But he had always been a coward. He refused and just kept standing behind our grandmother’s tiny 5’6” frame, smirking as he continued his tirade of lies and insults. At that moment I realised ‘Sharleen’ was right. It was never going to stop. If I stayed I’d become just like them. I took my few possessions and put them in the car. Then I left. I never went back. ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ weren’t there to wave goodbye like when I was a kid. I never looked back. Everything I’d ever wanted was there. I left the future ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ had always promised me because I knew ‘Sharleen’ was right. ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ would make sure they got what they wanted and if I stayed I’d become as bad as them in the process, and still have nothing to show for it. I had earned about five thousand dollars for the work I’d done while I was there, but I owed ‘Edward’ two thousand and knew I’d never see the rest. As far as I was concerned, it was cursed anyway.


But I needed it. I couldn’t get work for almost a year. When I did it was only casual for a few hours a week. I couldn’t afford rent and food. ‘Elizabeth’s’ mother, ‘Deanne’, let me board in a spare room at her house. ‘Elizabeth’s’ father, ‘Kent’, had died of cancer about a year after I met him and her mother needed the extra money. Board didn’t provide much food but I didn’t have enough money to buy more. I’d written to ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ several times but only ever got one reply. ‘Edward’ wrote that nobody knew why I’d left and tried to convince me that ‘Lilith’ had given me a good start in life, that there was no deal and nobody was against me. ‘Lilith’ had boasted once that she told her father and mother, ‘Claud’s’ relatives and other people who knew me, that I was suffering paranoid delusions from abusing drugs, and that was also why I was so thin. She and ‘Micha’ had both been defaming me for years so they could discredit me and destroy my relationship with ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’. It was the same with ‘Claud’s’ parents and relatives. My visits to them were filled with awkward silences and sidelong glances that suggested they didn’t know what I was going to do. Nobody I knew trusted me. That year, ‘Claud’ let me know his father was having a party for his birthday and asked if I’d like to go over with him. He was in the area and he told me to bring ‘Elizabeth’. I said I wasn’t going if ‘Micha’ would be there but ‘Claud’ assured me ‘Micha’ had said he wasn’t going. As ‘Micha’ had always put money first, I took ‘Claud’s’ word; it was a mistake.

‘Claud’ arrived with one woman and dropped her off at her place on the way. “You don’t mention her in front of our next passenger,” ‘Claud’ warned us. Fifteen minutes later he picked up another woman and she came with us to ‘Claud’s’ parent’s place. ‘Claud’ was like that. He dated multiple women at a time, always trying to keep them in the dark about one another. But ‘Micha’ was there at ‘George’ and ‘Elisa’s’. He showed up in a Toyota Hilux he’d purchased with the money from his bank account. It was second hand and cost $12,000. ‘Lilith’ hadn’t touched any of the money in his bank account. He came with a Nintendo game system. Those were fairly new at the time. He used it to impress our cousins but after they’d played with it for the day, he returned it to Target for a full refund. That was the kind of person he was. He used money to impress people. He’d also been spreading his lies and spite for an hour before ‘Elizabeth’ and I got there. The way we were treated left ‘Elizabeth’ so distressed she asked if we could leave. I agreed. ‘Claud’ had come out and told me to get back inside. His eyes were filled with menace and the promise of violence. “I’m nineteen,” I said to him, “and you haven’t been a part of my life for more than five minutes. You helped ‘Lilith’ and ‘Micha’ cause this so you don’t get to tell me what to do.” The look in ‘Claud’s’ eyes was one of pure rage and he started coming at me, his hands balled into fists. “Don’t you talk back to me!” he had snapped. “I’ve made a lot of effort to show my parents that I’ve reconciled with you two, and I’m not gonna let you ruin that now!” He never reached me. ‘Lorenzo’, his older brother, stepped out of the house and called his name. There was menace in that. ‘Lorenzo’ shook his head and ‘Claud’ stormed inside, giving his brother a sullen glare. ‘Lorenzo’ gave me a nod and said, “It’s okay, you can come and visit some other time when they’re not here.” We had to find our own way back to [DELETED].

That year I finally got the courage to take charge of my life. I went to the Department of Social Security at the end of 1992 to ask permission to repeat Year Twelve, having to explain my circumstances. They made me go into excruciating, humiliating detail and took notes. They wanted to know if ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ had any other children and expressed concern when I told them what had been going on with them. Decades later I would learn these two staff members hadn’t bothered to follow-up on what I’d said, and the consequences had been devastating on the lives of ‘Lara A’, ‘Sue B’, ‘Adam C’, our grandfather, and ‘Micha’s’ wife and son, not to mention myself. I had to get a letter from Mr ‘Rolls’ to recommend they give me another chance at Year Twelve and provide supporting evidence for my claim to determine if I should be given a second chance. I was given permission and advised to report what I’d said to the Police. I did as they said and the officer took notes. He stopped and asked an odd question “What’s your father’s name?” When I answered and the officer just put the pen down. I told him it was ‘Lilith’ and ‘Bull’ who’d been abusing me, not ‘Claud’. The officer just said “There’s no crime here and you should keep this to yourself unless you want to get sued for defamation.” It frustrated me that all the physical and psychological abuse is considered a crime when inflicted on people with money and affluence, but not, apparently, for me. It appeared that anything to do with ‘Claud’ would get buried and the victims isolated and silenced. Maybe that cop knew ‘Claud’. Maybe he was worried an investigation even mentioning ‘Claud’ might uncover something else he wanted concealed. I don’t know, but there has to be a reason why nobody will even let me make an official statement about what happened to me and my siblings.


I also made the mistake of contacting AMP and explaining my situation to them. ‘Lilith’ had a $20,000 Life Insurance policy on me. She was the beneficiary. When I turned twenty-one it would mature and I could claim the $2,500 it was worth. I asked if it was possible to take control of the account to make sure the premiums got paid and AMP agreed and arranged the transfer. Everything was fine for a few months and then one day ‘Elizabeth’s’ brother said “There’s some woman at the door wants to talk to you.” It was ‘Lilith’. “Happy Mother’s Day!” She snarled. She’d arrived in a brand new black four wheel drive. I didn’t know it at the time, but she’d divorced ‘Bull’ and sold their farm, gaining custody of the kids and most of the money. “How did you find out where I was?” I asked. There was no way she could have known. The only person I’d told was my cousin ‘Myshell’ and ‘Lilith’s’ father, and I’d written it down in the actual letters, not on the envelope. “Stop writing to you grandfather!” ‘Lilith’ had ranted at me. “I’m going to make sure he never gets anything you send, and you’ll never speak to him or the kids ever again!” I shut the door in her face. I’d had enough of her to last a lifetime. But she wasn’t lying. Almost two decades later I’d learn her father never got any of the letters after the only one he’d ever responded to. Then the letters from ‘Lilith’ started to arrive. She had contacted AMP when they stopped taking money out of her account for my policy premiums. Then she made them give her control again. She claimed the premiums on both my account and ‘Micha’s’ had not been paid and the policies had almost lapsed, that I had nearly destroyed all her years of hard work, but AMP told me they had been paid. They said ‘Lilith’ told AMP I was a drug addict and wanted the money from the account to buy drugs when it matured. She also convinced them to give her the address I’d provided them for the account when I took control.

AMP wouldn’t return control to me until I was twenty-one because they didn’t know who was telling the truth. They probably didn’t want to have to deal with ‘Lilith’ again either. The letters from ‘Lilith’ were filled with threat and spite, instructing me to “stay out of my affairs”. She had a Life Insurance Policy out on me and would get $20,000 if my life ended, and she claimed that was her business and I should stay out of it. I began to wonder about a lot of her behaviour toward me when I was a child, the beatings and occasions where I’d been put in dangerous, even life threatening situations. At around this time, ‘Micha’ was admitted to the [DELETED] Hospital. He’d suffered a gunshot to one of his arms that permanently damaged the nerves in that hand. ‘Claud’ would later insist it had been an accident. ‘Micha’ had played with guns from the age of ten and claimed to know everything about them (actually, he claims to know everything about everything), so it was possible it was an accident. But I’ve always had a bad feeling about ‘Lilith’ and ‘Claud’s’ motives, and the things I’ve learned since then has raised questions and doubt as to whether she and ‘Claud’ really are my biological parents, and why they are so desperate to discredit me, drive me away from all my relatives, and conceal information about ‘Claud’s’ other children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SYSTEMIC FAILURE

TOXIC CULTURE – PART 5

ON THE NOSE – PART 3