THE TIP OF THE BRIMSTONE - PART 2

TIMELINE OF ABUSE – PART ONE
In my most recent efforts – in a thirty year battle – to file an official complaint regarding the extreme violence, defamation, stalking, harassment and psychological hell that has been inflicted on me and several other relatives by a number of other relatives and a step-father, I have been informed that the only thing that the police can actually address is the matter of child abuse.

For the record, I am utterly stunned that the police have no interest in matters concerning stalking, harassment, defamation, fraud, thefts, drink-driving resulting in death (in which the perpetrator has never even been questioned let alone officially reported), interfering with the Federal postal service, elder abuse, incredibly disturbing activities conducted by a man whose behaviour toward young women and children is unpleasant to say the least, and what is clearly a suspicious death.

For thirty years I have been advised to remain silent on these matters or risk being charged and sued for defamation. In my most recent efforts to report these matters, Constable Long is the only person who has agreed to look at some of the correspondence that I have exchanged that demonstrates the volatility of the situation, suspicious behaviours by those at fault and supporting evidence confirming abuses. Sadly, due to time constraints and the sheer volume of material, his response is similar to others who have not even asked to see this documentation: there is not enough evidence.

I have encountered this response far too often. It is combined with people only willing to look at incident in isolation. When one covers one’s eyes either completely or to look through only a tiny gap, then yes, it is easy to claim there is nothing to see. However, when one looks at the bigger picture, the history and repeated and linked incidents, and considers the effects these have on the victims, then suddenly, one can see that there is more than enough evidence for an investigation.

Constable [DELETED] has given me this benefit of the doubt and asked me to put together a Timeline of Abuse. In its simplest form it is this: I was brutalised with physical and psychological violence every day of my life by my mother and then by her second husband, as well as by my father on a number of the few occasions he bothered to make time for me. However, since I am required to provide specific incidents in as much detail as possible then I will attempt to provide at least one that really stands out for each year, along with the effects to present a kind of victim impact statement too. Be careful what you wish for. It may be inconvenient to read through it all, but not half so much as to live through it.


This is no easy task. I’ve spent most of my life trying to forget what was done to me and having to repeat my account multiple times to people who use words like “allegations”, “story” and “tale of woe” in their indifferent, disbelieving and often mocking responses. These attitudes make dealing with this even harder. I would like it on record that I am particularly disturbed by the callous nature of so many people who are supposed to help but instead treat the victim as if they are a liar and demand indisputable proof only to set the bar higher at every stage until the victim cannot comply. If only victims were afforded the same right of being considered innocent until proven to be at fault that those who inflict themselves on others receive.

The only encouragement a victim has when they try to get someone to take an official statement is that there is a (small) provision for balance of probabilities where documented evidence cannot be provided. Most predators do not allow their victims to document the abuse they inflict. In my case, I have no documented evidence. What I do have is history and correspondence on my side that show the nature and behaviour of those who have done these things, in addition to corroborating entries therein, that would cause any reasonable person to be suspicion and ask questions. What I need is for someone to consider this report with an open mind instead of one predicated on a desire not to believe, and for them to ask the same questions that I’ve asked here and for decades.

So, I shall begin to make a nice, neat timeline with as many specifics as possible so that it can be – I have little doubt – filed away and everyone else can feel better about what happened as they burry my report forever. I often wonder how many victims of animals like Rolf Harris, Robert Hughs, Jimmy Savile and their ilk may have been spared if this attitude toward victims of crime was eradicated. There appears to be some kind of mental blockage in the agencies that deal with this problem. It seems the police and public servants are unable to overcome the attitude that policy dictates the response to child abuse ends when the victim reaches the age of eighteen. This Timeline of Abuse, for example, is supposed to deal only with incidents before that age, but I want to make a point by continuing the Timeline to demonstrate the flaw in that approach.

There is no magical age where the assault and psychological abuse just stop. It keeps going until somebody stops it. My Timeline of Abuse, therefore, does not end with me turning eighteen. The only distinction is that the physical and psychological assaults and defamation stop being classified as child abuse and become the same crimes inflicted on an adult. According to the police and other authorities I have spoken with, none of these criminal acts inflicted upon me and the others I have mentioned are actually criminal acts and, as such, are not matters for the police to deal with. I beg to differ and I want it on record so that whoever reads this statement can see for themselves the consequences of not only doing nothing, but of forcing victims to remain silent. My Timeline of Abuse therefore includes references to these other criminal activities because, in many cases, they are tied into the neglect, assaults and child abuse. The failure to address these incidents has led to several of the victims assimilating and implementing the same anti-social behaviours.

The key message in this statement is that the failure to act and systemic efforts to silence me (and I have no doubt, too many others) has concealed and enabled both the initial predators and those within the public service who have inflicted harm and injustice on others; because they have not been exposed, there has been no effort made to address the problems and deter such behaviour, so nothing has changed. The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Abuse seems only interested in sexual abuse perpetrated by the Churches and Salvation Army, and yet it will not even consider other forms of abuse, the role of the failure within the public services, or the application of the same recommendations to all institutions involved with children. Indeed, the investigators just told me my situation isn’t of use or interest to them, and they made no effort to forward it on to any other authority or offer help beyond the standard “if you need to talk to someone” banality.

1975
I was born [DELETED]. My name was ‘Lee’. The earliest events I can remember begin when I was about two years old. ‘Lilith’ (previously named [DELETED]) was the woman listed on my Birth Certificate as my mother. She rented a house in Paynesville. I do not know the address. I was too young to read and write and details like that weren’t important to me at the time. It was just “the house”. I remember it having a fence comprised of diamond-pattern mesh supported by timber posts with a top rail that were coated with cracked, peeling white flakes of paint

The family across the road were the [DELETED]. The father was called ‘Ray’, a local mechanic from what ‘Lilith’ said. They had two or three kids that looked just like him. Dark hair, olive skin and dark eyes. All chubby little folk. There was talk of the mother being pregnant around the time ‘Lilith’ gave birth to ‘Micah’, her second son. ‘Ray’ often visit ‘Lilith’ during lunch breaks and after work to ask if she needed anything. As far as I can remember, he’d done that for years. I’d get sent outside to play with the dog, a Labrador called ‘Patroclus’ when he came over. Things got heated between ‘Lilith’ and ‘Ray’s’ wife when ‘Micah’ was born.

‘Claud’ was never there. He was listed as my father on my Birth Certificate. ‘Lilith’ claims they lived in [DELETED] (near Melbourne) and separated soon after her second son was born in [DELETED], but ‘Lilith’s’ mother, ‘Sharleen’, told me a very different version. ‘Sharleen’ said ‘Claud’ and ‘Lilith’ had separated three months after they were married. I was born three months later. ‘Lilith’ raised me on stories of how ‘Claud’ was violent, abusive, how he would get drunk, beat and rape her, how he was constantly trying to manipulate and control people, and would forever fornicate with other women, many still in their teens. He was only 19 when they married. She was 21. ‘Claud’ worked, for a time, as a police officer in the [DELETED] police station until his indiscretions (according to ‘Lilith’) caught up with him. She said angry fathers would come banging on her door, shouting abuse, threats and accusations about him forcing himself on their daughters, even after she and ‘Claud’ separated. ‘Lilith’ claimed it was the three young girls, pregnant, and their fathers making complaints to the police station where he worked, that finally got ‘Claud’ discharged.


I don’t know if that’s true. ‘Claud’ refuses to speak about his past. He becomes aggressive if the matter is raised and pursued. He refuses to reveal the identities - or even confirm the existence of – his other children. In [DELETED], ‘Claud’s’ younger brother ‘Jeff’ confirmed in an email that there’s at least one, now two, and maybe more other children. He named one as ‘James’, the son of ‘Karen’, but thought he might be a few years younger than me.  ‘Claud’ finally admitted he had one other son, but denied these details ‘Jeff’ provided were true and refused to elaborate on the matter despite claiming to be a changed man. Given ‘Claud’s’ cavalier nature regarding women and the truth, however, it seems more than likely he was lying. ‘Jeff’ later made several unfounded accusations and threats in a subsequent email, his previously friendly nature changed for no apparent reason. It seems he probably spoke with ‘Claud’ and the pair of them are still manipulating, controlling and bullying people to conceal things they don’t want revealed about them. I often wonder why.

If you knew even half of what I know this kind of behaviour would raise some serious concerns and questions. In any case, back in 1975, ‘Lilith’ had begun to take her frustrations out on me to punish ‘Claud’ for what she claimed ‘Claud’ had done to her, and he couldn’t have cared less. My first memories are of my grandparents, and of being beaten by [‘Lilith’]. Not smacked, but flogged with whatever came to her hands at the time. As I have said, these were not isolated incidents, but occurred almost every day, and the days they didn’t were filled with the terror it would happen.

‘Lilith’ spent most of her time drinking coffee, smoking Alpine Cigarettes and reading trashy pulp fiction romance novels by Mills and Boon. As dusk fell, she’d hit the alcohol. A whole cardboard box of cheap Coolabah Moselle wine. By midnight she’d be drunk, passed out in front of the radiator heater with her legs burning inches from its front panel, and music blasting from her record player, usually the Beatles or Elvis Presley. This pattern of behaviour wouldn’t change for a decade, and then returned after a break of about seven years.

I didn’t eat very often. My day consisted of getting sent outside to play with the dog, and ‘Lilith’ would only feed me if she remembered and felt so compelled. I was thin, small, malnourished, had huge black bags under my eyes and welts and bruises all over me. “I hate you!” ‘Lilith’ would scream without warning and then lay into me with a wooden hairbrush, dustpan brush, looped up section of garden hose or whatever she could get her hands on. “You ruined my life!” She’d complain.


According to ‘Sharleen’ (‘Lilith’s’ mother) I had been part of a plan. ‘Lilith’ hadn’t been very popular in the last part of her secondary schooling. Well, not for the right reasons. She started fornicating with many of the local boys around the age of fourteen and spread slanderous accusations about other girls to discredit them and anything they might say if they got in her way. After year 12 she moved to the city. She wasn’t very popular with other parents or most of the kids in the [DELETED], [DELETED] and [DELETED] area where she had grown up, and her parents wouldn’t agree with her lifestyle choices. She had spent years manipulating her father, ‘Edward’, convincing him that what was being said about her was a lie. She didn’t want to work but the city had the kind of lifestyle she wanted.

Moving to the city also offered ‘Lilith’ an opportunity. ‘Sharleen’s’ parents were very old and, so it was said, rather wealthy. ‘Lilith’ only had two cousins, as far as I can tell: ‘Gregor’ and ‘Pru’ [DELETED], the son of her mother’s sister, ‘Rita’, and her husband, a lawyer. They lived in the city while ‘Lilith’ had been too far away to spend much time with her grandparents. The only reason [‘Lilith’] studied nursing at Prince Henry’s, ‘Sharleen’ said, was so she could spend time with her grandparents and make sure she was in their Will. ‘Claud’ provided what she thought she needed to secure that. She was the first grandchild to marry and the first to have a child of her own. But married life and parenthood, and the monogamy and responsibility that required, were not ‘Claud’s’ scene.

‘Sharleen’ use to show me photographs of me as a baby when she and ‘Edward’ looked after me. ‘Sharleen’ said that ‘Lilith’ had dumped me with her parents after I was born. ‘Lilith’ claimed she had gone into labour the day her grandfather passed and I was born the day of his funeral. She also claimed her grandfather had told her he was going to die and said I’d be born three days later to replace him. It was one of many stories she told, and her version of reality rarely has anything to do with the facts. ‘Lilith’ would claim she and ‘Claud’ lived together for the first two years of their marriage, for example, but ‘Sharleen’ told me that ‘Lilith’ had moved in with her grandparents three months before I was born. Nobody else had seen her for weeks. According to ‘Lilith’, the doctors gave her heroin for the pain she endured during the seventy-two hours of labour before I was delivered. I’ve often wondered about this. Despite being exhausted and having so many doctors and nurses present, ‘Lilith’ herself signed as the informant on my Birth Certificate. I’ve been told this is not unusual, but it seems odd given the circumstances. A few days after my arrival, ‘Lilith’ dropped me off with her parents on their farm outside [DELETED] and then vanished for the next six months.

She left her father a phone number to call if he needed to contact her and would usually call back within a few days, but she only came back when ‘Claud’ showed up. He arrived around August, ‘Sharleen’ had said, and demanded she and ‘Edward’ hand me over, pointing out he was a police officer and things would go badly for them if they didn’t. ‘Edward’ called the number ‘Lilith’ had left and the next day, about twenty-four hours later, she arrived. I have no idea what ‘Claud’s’ plans for me were, but ‘Lilith’ somehow got custody and moved into the house in [DELETED]. Her parents and social services provided money so she didn’t have to work. She also got money from ‘Claud’s’ parents, ‘George’ and ‘Elisa’. She would take me to visit them at Christmas and Easter. Every few weeks we’d visit ‘Sharleen’s’ mother and sister, ‘Rita’, in one of the outer suburbs of Melbourne. I don’t know what the name of ‘Sharleen’s’ mother was. I liked her and all my grandparents. The time I spent with them are my only happy childhood memories.

But the arrival of ‘Micha’ spelled the end of all that. ‘Ray’ and his wife started fighting as ‘Micha’ got older. He had black hair, olive skin, dark eyes and was chubby, like their kids. He could have been one of them. ‘Lilith’ had dyed her light brown hair black a few days after ‘Micha’ was born, and never changed the colour. She would dress me and him in matching clothes but we were like chalk and cheese. I was thin and pale with blond hair and blue eyes, his polar opposite.

The visits to ‘Sharleen’s’ mother stopped when I was about four (1977). I assume she died. ‘Lilith’s’ uncle was never around anymore when she took us to visit ‘Rita’, but their family always gave us things, like the clothes ‘Gregor’ had used when he was our age, but twice we got sent their old trampolines. About three-and-a-half decades later, I saw a photo of ‘Gregor’ at [DELETED], where he worked as one of the cancer docs. He was the spitting image of ‘Micha’ and around the same build. They could easily have been mistaken for brothers. In any case, ‘Micha’ and I were very different in appearance and ‘Lilith’ treated us in accordance. She spoiled ‘Micha’ rotten but brutalised me. ‘Micha’ was rarely punished for bad behaviour and always ate well. I have always wondered why.

I remember one time when ‘Micha’ had just started walking. He tried to get into the chicken shed outside the house. He wanted me to lift him up to get the eggs out of the nests through the hatches. He was too heavy and started screaming when he didn’t get his way. Whenever he did that, ‘Lilith’ would lay into me, demanding I do what ‘Micha’ wanted. I didn’t want that so I managed to open the gate to let him in. He smashed all the eggs and got covered in chicken crap, straw and feathers. I knew I’d get in trouble so, in my almost four-year old wisdom, I used a tea-towel in an effort to clean it off. I remember ‘Lilith’ coming out and screaming abuse as she doubled up the garden hose and thrashed me. Nobody in the street came to help. She left me lying in the feathers, straw, eggs and crap when she took ‘Micha’ in to give him a bath. It took a while before I could move without it hurting as much. Again, I must point out that this was not an isolated incident.

1976
By the time I was almost four, things had degenerated to such a state in [DELETED], between ‘Lilith’ and the [DELETED] family that [‘Lilith’] moved out and took us all to live with her parents on their farm outside [DELETED]. I never heard about the [DELETED] family again. The next few months were almost blissful. [‘Lilith’] never hurt me when her father was around. Her entire personality would change. She would change the way she spoke and behaved, but it was all an act. As soon as he was absent for whatever job took him away from the house and sheds, she reverted. She even bullied her mother. “Shut-up, you stupid old bitch!” she’d snarl, pushing ‘Sharleen’ around and just being a nasty, vicious cow of a woman. She was 25 at the time, but had done that for as long as I could remember.

‘Lilith’ was an only child. ‘Sharleen’ had almost died as a result of the pregnancy and birth, and had been ill for years after. She never conceived again. Decades later it was discovered she had some kind of device implanted after the birth to prevent her becoming pregnant again. It was discovered by sheer chance during a visit to the doctor. ‘Sharleen’ had succumbed to dementia and nobody had been made aware that it was there and had to be removed. As a result, she never conceived again and ‘Edward’ had spoiled his only child rotten. ‘Lilith’ got whatever she wanted and he wouldn’t hear a bad word about her. She treated her mother like dirt in his absence because she could manipulate her father to discredit anything her mother might say. These were skills ‘Lilith’ used on others her entire life.

When she tried them on ‘Claud’s’ relatives, however, they didn’t work so well. ‘Elisa’ and ‘George’ gave ‘Lilith’ money whenever she took me over to visit because ‘Claud’ refused to pay child support. In fact, he never paid one cent for me or ‘Micha’. He never even bothered to send a card for our birthdays or Christmas. He expresses no remorse for this behaviour. Even if he had sent anything, ‘Lilith’ probably would have destroyed it. She had fallen pregnant with me over Easter of 1972 when she made a surprise visit to ‘Claud’s’ parent’s farm to introduce herself to his parents and siblings. When ‘Lilith’ made nice with ‘Claud’ over the Christmas and New Year’s visit of 1973, she fell pregnant with ‘Micha’. He arrived early in September, and was so large he had to be dragged out with forceps despite ‘Lilith’s’ claims he had arrived a few weeks early. In short, from what ‘Sharleen’ told me, ‘Elisa’ and ‘George’ weren’t sure ‘Claud’ was ‘Micha’s’ father.

They refused to give ‘Lilith’ more money. She had screamed and beat the walls and furniture with her fists when she returned to her parent’s farm. She was frustrated and angry about not getting what she wanted. She cursed ‘Claud’ and all his relatives with vicious profanities and unfounded accusations that they were all evil and hated us. The visits to ‘George’ and ‘Elisa’ stopped. I’d be seven the next time ‘Micha’ and I got to see any of ‘Claud’s’ relatives again. Asking when we could go and see themagain resulted in a vicious beating, so I quickly learned to keep my disappointment to myself. I both hated and enjoyed the trip from [DELETED] (and then [DELETED]) to [DELETED] and then over the [DELETED] Highway to [DELETED] to see my grandparents. The roads wound in, out, up and down the hills, and that plus ‘Lilith’s’ chain smoking caused me to get itching eyes and inner ears, cough, sneeze and then vomit from motion sickness. Once I’d vomited by the side of the road, ‘Lilith’ would haul me into the air by the left arm on that lonely, isolated stretch of road and beat me like a piñata. She’d use a stick if she could find one, and claim I had deliberately made myself ill. Despite that, those visits were the only time I was happy. I felt like I was coming home to the places I really belonged, especially at the [DELETED] where ‘Claud’s’ parents lived.

One year, it must have been 1975 or 1976, ‘Lilith’ took ‘Micha’ and me to the [DELETED] Show with her parents. ‘Edward’ was participating in the Dog Trials with some of the Kelpies he trained. ‘Micha’ played in the dirt at ‘Lilith’s’ feet while she and ‘Sharleen’ watched the event. ‘Tracy’, a friend of ‘Lilith’s’, had been there too and took me to look at the side shows and exhibitions. She often visited and took me – and sometimes even ‘Micha’ – on day trips. People would mistake her for my mother because we looked so similar. When we got back, ‘Lilith’ was talking with three women she had gone to school with. The incident has always stuck with me because it was so hostile. One of the women turned and saw me and said something I have never forgotten because the situation seemed so odd. “What stunning blue eyes he has!” She said. “I wonder where he got them?!” ‘Lilith’ had brown eyes, like ‘Micha’. ‘Tracy’ had gone as white as a sheet and looked distressed. She had blue eyes, like mine. ‘Lilith’ said to the woman “You stay away from my son!”

That incident, like too many others, would trigger ‘Lilith’ to violence. In the first week of 1977, just after that disastrous visit to ‘Claud’s’ parents and ‘Lilith’s’ decision to ensure they never see me and ‘Micha’ again, ‘Micha’ and I had been playing in the sandpit ‘Edward’ and ‘Sharleen’ had made in the yard outside their house. ‘Micha’ threw his toy metal Tonka dump-truck onto the roof of a little bike shed. ‘Edward’ had made it to store the bikes the ‘Arnot’ family (who lived at the end of [DELETED] Road) had given us for Christmas. Their son and daughter had outgrown them and Mrs ‘Arnot’ thought we might like them. So, ‘Micha’ wanted his truck back and, as always, unless he got what he wanted, I got hit and screamed at. I’d climbed onto the roof to get it down but he kept moving underneath where I tried to drop it and kept saying “gimme”, one of his few words.


End result was he raced around the side I tried to drop it and it opened a gash in his head that bled and caused him to run inside screaming. ‘Lilith’ decided I’d done it deliberately and beat me so badly with a wooden hearth brush I couldn’t move for several minutes. ‘Sharleen’ had tried to stop her and been told “Shut up you stupid F***en bitch, or I’ll give you a few too!” As fate would have it, ‘Edward’ had returned early and intervened. He was very angry and demanded to know “What the hell are you doing!” He told her to never raise her hand to ‘Micha’ or me ever again, but ‘Lilith’ made sure he regrated his interference. “Mind your own business, you old bastard!” She had snarled. Then she demanded he buy her a home to live in [DELETED] because she couldn’t put up with them any longer. We moved into the house they purchased for her a few weeks later, and didn’t see her parents again until the end of the year. ‘Edward’ learned his lesson. If he wanted to see his only grandchildren, he had to remain silent regarding whatever ‘Lilith’ did to me and ‘Micha’.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SYSTEMIC FAILURE

TOXIC CULTURE – PART 5

INDOCTRINATING IDIOCY – PART TWO